Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Fitbitting

So this morning at school, I got a smart-phone notification that my Amazon package had been delivered. MY FITBIT!!! As soon as I was free for lunch, I dashed home and picked it up and read all the instructions and set it up and put it on.

I bought the very cheapest one possible, which maybe I'll get used to, but it's not my favorite because it doesn't have the digital readout of steps. BUT... that might be a good thing. I can still keep up with my numbers using the Fitbit app on my phone.

Tuesday nights, at least for the summer, are piano lesson nights. I have two adults and one kid who wanted to continue taking lessons through the summer, so I picked Tuesday night to be the night I do piano. To increase the number of steps I take during the day, I decided to walk to church. It's not that far, and the weather app said it wouldn't be raining until after my lessons were long overwith.

The goal is to reach 10,000 steps in one day. But looking that up, that's FIVE MILES. Holy moly, dude. I'm not going to beat myself up for not reaching 10,000 today. By walking to church and back, I made it to 4,334 steps, which is more than a mile and a half. Considering that I've been a slug for quite a number of years, a mile and a half is pretty darn great. I'll take it.

I'm only going to post about it here on the blog, for a couple of reasons. Yes, there are about two of you who read my posts here... but I'm just not ready to make this fully public yet. Plus, once my mother and sister know I have a Fitbit, they'll be all encourage-y and exhort-y, and I just don't need that from anyone right now. I want to do this nonchalantly.

But if I'm actually going to make it to 10,000 steps a day, I may actually have to start walking to school. Which is not an unreachable goal... but it just may not happen every day.

Heck, though... anything is better than being a sedentary slug, right?

I'm just going to track things for a while, without setting any unreachable goals for myself which will discourage me. And then if it suits me, I'll start setting personal goals.

At first I thought I would probably need a non-judgmental friend to team up with. But the more I think about it, the more I think I need to do this alone. Just me.

I may use this blog to discuss it, and I may not. I'm definitely NOT going to post any of it to Facebooger. I don't need encouragement. Or judgment. Or anything. I just need to be left alone about my personal fitness.

No comments: