Sunday, October 04, 2009

Weekend wildflowers

On the way home from my hair appointment yesterday (which began as one of the most beautiful days I've ever seen), the fall wildflowers were out in profusion and I couldn't resist stopping by the side of Highway 82 between Sherman and Gainesville to capture a few of them.

Here we have an Engelmann Daisy (Engelmannia pinnatifida). They're quite abundant in ditches and roadsides right now.



This cute little seedpod is a mystery to me right now, but I'm on the trail of finding out what it is. It belongs to a long, skinny vine and it was out amidst the Johnson grass in the middle of nowhere. The seedpods were abundant, and when they ripen they're brown but the same triangular balloon shape.

UPDATE: I'm quicker than I thought. This is a noxious weed called a Balloon Vine (Cardiospermum halicacabum). Some folks also call it "Love In A Puff"... bwaha!! Anyway, I can see how it would develop into something rather annoying in a yard, but out in the middle of nowhere it's kinda cool-looking.



This little gem is called a "Leavenworth Eryngo" (Eryngium leavenworthii)... it's so unusual-looking, I just had to stop and catch some photos of it. Apparently it's tempting enough for a bumblebee, too. The color on these things is nothing short of amazing.



And this beauty, which in its clumps looks like an exploding fireworks display, is a "Gayfeather" (Liatris spicita).

As soon as I'm able to get a good photo of my new 'do (hint: I'm now a brunette), I'll post it.

No comments: