Sunday, January 18, 2009

Are you KIDDING me?

Dad told to pay for child's birth or wed mom

The Michigan Legislature amended the state's paternity act five years ago to waive birthing costs for a father, if he married the child's mother. A year later, Witt gave birth to JaeLyn. The state paid for the hospital costs because Witt was on Medicaid at the time and is now trying to recover the money.

...

Johnson and Witt said they want to marry eventually, but Witt said she wants her marriage date to be her choice.

"I don't think anybody should tell me when to get married," said Witt. "I would like to have a nice wedding, and I can wait for it."

Oh, well, golly gee whiz. We're not going to pay because we don't want to. Brilliant example of what happens when people don't have to suffer consequences of their actions, but instead are perpetually rescued by The State.

I want a new country.

No comments: