Monday, June 18, 2007

Season premiere tonight



Tonight was the season premiere of TNT's series The Closer, starring Kyra Sedgwick. I can honestly say that I don't really follow much television, particularly current stuff. I prefer to wait until they're in syndication on USA or Spike or somewhere like that, since the stuff that makes it to syndication is usually the decent, watchable stuff.

With The Closer, however, I was hooked immediately the first time I saw it. Yes, I know that Sedgwick's southern accent is fake. It doesn't bother me, though, because her character is still believable and wholly engaging. Her style is sly, disarmingly charming, and very, very smart. I love how her femininity, foibles and flaws get turned around to her advantage, and I love her quirks and oddities. I could work for someone like this, because even though they may bark out orders from time to time, the trust and loyalty I'd feel would outweigh my distaste for authoritarian behavior.

I hesitate to say this, but I think I actually like it better than the Law & Order: SVU re-runs I like to watch. I like it enough that I want to set aside time to watch it when it first airs, which is a HUGE switch from any other television programming there is, period. I'm not even that interested in Idol or Survivor like others in the house are... I'll watch them, but I don't keep up with them as they happen, and I kind-of resent having to set aside time for them. With The Closer, not so much. I love it and I want TNT to keep making more of them.

No comments: