Saturday, November 25, 2006

Corn Casserole

While living in Iowa, I was blessed to be able to spend many Thanksgiving Day celebrations with my best friend Cindy. One of the traditional dishes in her house is Corn Casserole. An unassuming name and a very simple-to-make dish, but it sure is good. Since we were apart this year, I made two pans of it this year, one to take to each one of our family celebrations. It was a new addition to our families, and as I expected, I got several requests for the recipe.

So, without further ado, here it goes:

1 can whole-kernel corn
1 can cream-style corn
1 package of cornbread mix
8 oz. sour cream
1 stick of butter

I also add a handful or so of shredded cheese, but that's optional.

Dump all of those into a baking dish (don't drain the corn, just dump it juice-n-all) and bake it at 350 degrees until the middle cracks and the sides pull away from the pan.

I always double the recipe at least; this time around, I tripled it for each pan and used a roaster pan instead of a regular oblong baking dish. When you double or triple it, though, you might want to decrease the baking temp to 325 and keep an eye on it; when it begins to brown, cover it with foil. Take it out every so often and give it a little jostle; if it's still liquidy in the middle, give it a little more time.

Soooooo yummy!!!

No comments: