Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Where's the DELETE button when you really need it?

Okay, time for a really bizarre confession. I have been tormented by a song for more than thirty years.

Yes, you read that right.

I wish I could figure out why this stupid, inane, meaningless song keeps popping into my head at odd times, but it does.

I can almost guarantee it's not even a song you've ever heard, or if you ever heard it once, you don't remember it. And you're going to recommend me to a psych-ward once I tell you what it is.

Remember the animated movie of Charlotte's Web back in the early 70s? Well, I went to see it when I was probably five. Soon after that, my dad bought me the soundtrack album for it, because I had a record player and I loved to listen to records. I listened to the Charlotte's Web soundtrack over and over again, reliving the movie (since we didn't have VCRs and I had no guarantee I'd ever be able to watch it again, I had to rely on the illustrations on the album cover and the songs and dialogue on the record to transport me back in my memory).



Right at this very moment, I could sing every song from the movie, word for word, even in the original key. I loved the sound of Debbie Reynolds' voice as Charlotte. But one of the songs, for some bizarre reason, keeps popping into my head at the stupidest times, and it's not even one of the pretty ones graced with Reynolds' lilting, kindhearted vocals. It's the barbershop quartet number from the county fair... four guys singing "Zuckerman's Famous Pig."

Again, you read that right. I can't stop singing "Zuckerman's Famous Pig," and I'm thinking of checking into rehab.

Okay, I won't go that far. But it does strike me as odd that a dorky barbershop quartet song from a 35-year-old cartoon movie about a pig and a spider just keeps coming to the forefront of my mind. I wonder if, when that song track got laid down in my brain 35 years ago, somehow it never got stored away in the long-term files of things I'd never need again?

What is WRONG with me?

Don't answer that. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

No comments: