Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Check off another one of those resolutions...

One of the things I had listed as a New Year's resolution was that I wanted to write a song.

And I have!!!

It's still in its infancy stages, and I didn't do it all by myself, but still...

For a couple of weeks now, Jeff had been saying that we needed to write a song that would kind-of be the theme-song for FCC for 2006. Last year's song was "Race" and it really turned out to be a cool song that a lot of people liked. This year, all we had was that hideous gigantic wooden bridge cluttering the stage... and what in the world could we do to try to write a song around a big ugly bridge with the giant words "CHAPTER TWO" on it?!? But then, Rob's sermon series was entitled "Love God, Love All" and was based around the Great Commandments. The bridge was representative of FCCers building bridges to the community, to bring them to Christ. So Jeff pointed to the sermon notes, to the phrase "Love God, Love All" and said, "There's our theme for the year. There's what we need to write the song about."

So for the past two weeks we've been racking our brains to come up with some lyrics to work with. This afternoon, just as the final bell was ringing and my students left the classroom for the day, I suddenly had an idea. I quickly typed out my lyrics idea, then read it over a couple of times, and scrawled them down onto a pad of paper and took them to worship practice tonight to show Jeff. After practice, we sat down and he strummed the guitar and we messed around with the lyrics and different melodies until we got them into an actual song.

Once we were done, he said we had a pretty good start. I'm hoping he can take it home with him and work his magic with it and make it into something we can sing. Anyway, I feel like I can sort of say I partially wrote another song. I partially wrote one last year (Redemption) that he took my lyrics and put to a melody, but this time, I did lyrics AND a melody. Baby steps, baby steps.

If it turns out to be something, I'll try to get a rough recording of it and post it here so you can listen.

I know it probably doesn't sound like a big deal to anyone else, but I'm more elated than I can express. This is VERY exciting to me.

No comments: