Saturday, July 02, 2005

Starbuck's, the place to blog

Today I am sitting in Starbuck's in Sherman, Texas. Thank you to the Starbuck's people for providing a T-Mobile HotSpot for me so I can "go to class" online.

This Starbuck's is the only one anywhere near Lake Texoma. My vast extended family is all gathered at the Texoma Lodge (on the Oklahoma side) for a reunion, but I was able to escape for a bit. I had to finish a couple of papers for a class and post them to the newsgroup, and I enjoyed a Shaken Iced Tea (venti, of course) while I worked. I had hoped to find some kind of wi-fi connection in Durant, Oklahoma, which would've been much closer, but I'm thinking they may not even know about high-speed internet, much less wireless... I could be wrong, of course. I tried connecting to the wi-fi at the rest area just across the Red River in Texas, but for some reason my laptop didn't want to connect to it. At least the Starbuck's connection tends to be dependable, from what I can tell. It isn't free, but it's there when I need it.

I've seen some folks today at the reunion that I haven't seen in literally twenty years or more... I'd certainly have more fun if I were actually free to visit, but I had too much work to get done. I can see that this whole Master's Degree process is going to be one in which I constantly ask myself, "What were you THINKING?!?"

I will be spending the night at my parents' lake cabin tonight... not only is there no internet access of any kind there, there's also a good chance my cell phone won't work either. I swear this place is like the forgotten little corner of nowhere. Tomorrow we're going to be in Ada, Oklahoma... and I'm hoping beyond hope they'll have somewhere I can log on. Then Monday we're on the road back to Iowa, and I *know* I'll be able to drive by a Starbuck's *somewhere* along I-35!

Two Sherman police officers just came in. I guess we've evolved from donuts to latte...

No comments: