Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Happiness is...

Happiness for me is being surrounded by serious musicians making some serious noise, in serious praise of God. That's what I was doing last night, and it was indescribably cool for me.

I know that most of these guys have been doing this for a while and it's old to them, but not to me. I've gotten occasional tastes of it in a few places, and it has actually kept me going because it has shown me that there IS more out there if I just hang in there. I never expected to be doing what I'm doing now, though. When I visited this church, I was so impressed by their worship band, and my assumption was that there would be a pretty careful process by which people could join up with it. However, I introduced myself to the worship leader, and BOOM! I'm invited to come to practice, then I'm put onto the schedule. This Sunday, he asked me to play keys for the night service. So I went last night to practice, and their vocal team's soprano wasn't able to come, so now I'm SINGING during both morning services and PLAYING for the evening service. Holy cow.

Rick sort-of got onto me about it last night, because he didn't want me to start over-committing myself and making myself indispensable. I agree with him, and I am aware that it's a bit of a balancing act right now. But I really want to get to know this group of musicians better, to know how God is using them and where I might fit into that plan. It's not just a volunteer position. God is at work at that church, in tangible ways, and I'd like to know more about it. Eventually things will settle out and there will be an equilibrium reached. Until then, I feel compelled to do whatever I can do to be a part of this. I love it... it's energizing.

No comments: