Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hey, I've eaten that...

Duck on the half-shell? They're saying it's one of the fifteen most repulsive foods on record. I bet I can come up with others. Yes, it's certainly not pleasing to the eye of most American diners, but it isn't as nasty as it looks.

Anyway, yes, I have actually consumed this dish. I taught English classes to a group of Vietnamese adults several years ago, and one evening we had a celebration party (I don't remember the occasion... might've been my birthday). They brought this dish for me and I quickly got the idea that this was a real honor and that it would be rather rude not to try it.

Watch out for the beak and feet, but otherwise it's certainly edible with a bit of salt and cilantro.

That being said, I'm probably not inclined to order it at my local Vietnamese restaurant.

No comments: