Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Citrus chicken

Welcome to all those visiting here via the Carnival of the Recipes! Stick around, visit my main site, blog-roll me, leave some comments, whatever. Now, on to my recipe for Citrus Chicken:

Maybe we're weird, but everyone in my family prefers dark-meat chicken to white-meat. It's much more flavorful and is much less prone to dryness. I always bypass the gazillions of packages of "boneless, skinless chicken breasts" (gag!!) and either cook an entire chicken, skin-on, or I buy packages of legs and thighs.

This weekend I'm going to do a batch of chicken thighs, skin-on, and I'm going to use the following ingredients to coat them:

1/4 cup honey
1/8 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 T Emeril's Essence (Asian or Southwest version)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. fresh-ground black pepper

Coat each piece liberally, then place on baking stone and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until done (no more pink near the bone).

Now PLEASE promise me that if you try this, you won't use the little plastic lemon-shaped squirt bottle that has been sitting in your fridge for Lord knows how long. K? That stuff is NOT an acceptable substitute. Take the little bit of extra time to squeeze some limes. I prefer Key limes, but they're small and if you don't have a lime squeezer, it requires a great deal of effort. You can also use the larger and more common Persian limes.

I plan to serve this with some sauteed green beans bathed in sesame oil, fresh garlic, Kosher salt and black pepper.

No comments: