Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Well, gee whiz. Imagine that.

New Oklahoma Abortion Law Hard On Patients

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The requirements of Oklahoma's new abortion law are drawing some emotional responses from patients, a clinic director said Wednesday, now that women must have an ultrasound and hear a detailed description of the fetus before the procedure can be done.

The law went into effect a day earlier, when the state Senate overrode Gov. Brad Henry's veto of that measure and one that prohibits pregnant women from seeking damages if physicians withhold information or provide inaccurate information about their pregnancy.

"It's been difficult for some of the patients," said Linda Meek, executive director of Reproductive Services of Tulsa. "We've had patients leave the ultrasound room in tears because of what they had to hear."

...

The new statute requires the person performing the ultrasound to describe the dimensions of the fetus, whether arms, legs and internal organs are visible and whether there is cardiac activity. It also requires the doctor to turn a screen depicting the ultrasound images toward the woman to see them.

...

Meek said requiring women to listen to a description can be traumatic, she said, especially for rape and incest victims and women with fetal abnormalities or whose pregnancy threatens their own life.

Hmm. Traumatic? I suggest that losing your life is a bit more traumatic.

I'm sorry, but we're dealing with A HUMAN BEING here. That it happens to require a womb may be unfair to the owner of the womb, but it doesn't give the owner of said womb the right to take the life of the human being unless it truly threatens the life of the womb-owner (I refer to my right to shoot to kill if someone enters my home and threatens to kill me or my family).

That's just my opinion, of course. You're entitled to yours. But I don't have a problem with this Oklahoma law as I've read it reported upon.

No comments: