Saturday, September 26, 2009

I'm stealing a recipe from a friend

I think my friend got it from Cook's Illustrated. At any rate, it's just too yummy not to share. It's called:


Buttermilk Coleslaw with Green Onions and Cilantro (serves 4)

1 pound cabbage (about 1/2 medium head), red or green, shredded fine (6 cups)
table salt
1 medium carrot , shredded on box grater
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 small shallot , minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 scallions , sliced thin
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Toss shredded cabbage and 1 teaspoon salt in colander or large mesh strainer set over medium bowl. Let stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Rinse cabbage under cold running water. Press, but do not squeeze, to drain; pat dry with paper towels. Place wilted cabbage and carrot in large bowl.
2. Stir buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, shallot, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, scallions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper together in small bowl. Pour dressing over cabbage and toss to combine; refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. (Coleslaw can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

---------------
Notes of tweakage:

*I just use the 1lb bag of shredded cabbage that you can buy in the Wal-Mart produce section, and it already has a few carrots in the mix, so I leave off the carrots. If you do add more carrots, be sure they're grated really finely.

*I use 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of mayo as well as the 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Just make sure that you pat dry the cabbage pretty well so it's not too soupy when you're done.

*For the onions in the recipe, I just slice up several green onions really, really finely.

*I use the entire bunch of cilantro and chiffonade it.

*I just slice a Persian lime and squeeze both halves into the mix; I don't measure it. For me, it's hard to have too much lime in anything, though. I'm pretty much a lime fan. Usually I use Key limes, but this time around I had a Persian lime languishing in the fridge drawer, so I used the whole thing.
---------------

This stuff is incredibly yummy -- even if you're not a fan of regular coleslaw.

I have tasted it; I don't actually eat much of it because of the mayo, which has corn syrup in it. If I were to make my own mayo, which isn't that hard, I could easily consume lots of this stuff. And I do NOT like coleslaw, as a general rule.

No comments: