Saturday, August 22, 2009

Temptation

There's a get-together over at our principal's house this evening, so I just mixed up a batch of my Famous Potato Salad.

And for the first time ever, I didn't eat a single bite of it. Not even a little lick of the spoon.

I have paid that price, and I'm done with it. No more corn, no more potatoes.

That being said, I hope everyone who comes tonight tries a bite of it and loves it as much as I do. Did.

Going to restaurants now is not fun for me. Mexican restaurants are pretty much out, since even the flour tortillas are made with cornstarch in the recipe. I'm kind-of embarrassed to have to ask the waitress to check the food for corn, cornstarch or corn syrup. Forget it if the label contains "modified food starch." And some of them really aren't too bright -- the one the other day checked the tortillas and brought me CORN tortillas because they didn't contain CORNSTARCH in the ingredient list. WTF? Did I not just tell you I was allergic to corn? Oy. I scraped out the fajita meat. It's just not worth it to press the issue. And it feels way too high-maintenance when I'm with a group of my co-workers. I am so not that kind of person. But I also don't want to spend the rest of the day dashing to the bathroom in a cold sweat.

Salads... no dressing. Plain meat (not even ham or sausage -- you'd be surprised how much corn syrup is in that stuff sometimes). Plain cheese.

The dearth of Japanese restaurants in the rural north Texas area is lamentable -- but not surprising, I suppose (ha). I just ordered a couple more packets of dried seaweed from Amazon. And I'm looking forward to the arrival of some furikake.

The potato salad is chillin' in the fridge, Alice & Rick are home from the hospital, and I'm going to go take a nap.

No comments: