Thursday, May 07, 2009

Yet another reason to be crabby

I'm hugely irritated with my LaCie brand 1Tb external hard drive. I've had it about a year and it has had trouble making connection with the cords. Today it completely quit connecting. I know all the information (my iTunes music, all my photos) is all still there. It's just not accessing it.

I ordered a new external hard drive (a Seagate FreeAgent 1.5 Tb ordered from Amazon) even though we really don't have the $$ for it. I absolutely have to have the external memory.

In the meantime, I'm trying desperately to resurrect the LaCie, even if only for just enough time to shift everything in it to the new drive. I don't care anymore about that little sticker blaring a warning about "voiding the warranty" by opening up the box. It's durn near impossible to open this drive, with no visible means of entry. So I'm trying to pry it open.

I am NOT happy about having to do this, but I don't think I have a choice. There's just too much valuable stuff on it.

On a positive note, however, I was contacted this evening by the nearby community college; there is a distinct possibility that they'll need someone to teach the College Prep English class during the June session. This could be an answer to prayer financially; it isn't a LOT of money, but it definitely helps. And the class is in the mornings, so I don't have to worry about leaving the kids alone.

Alice tripped and fell this evening while coming up the front porch steps. For a little while I thought she might've broken one or more fingers on her left hand, but everything seemed better after a while. It's not an unheard-of thing; she can't really catch herself well with her left hand, so if she falls that direction, the chance of injury is much greater.

She and Isaac have joined their older sister in avoiding proper showering. I've had to take steps to make sure they're keeping themselves clean, like smelling their hair after they get out of the shower (a dead giveaway; wet dirty hair smells very different than wet clean hair!) and checking the levels on the shampoo bottle. I hate being a policeman but I don't think I have much of a choice. They've GOT to be clean. At least these two can be reasoned with and can be convinced to obey. The elder one isn't going to keep herself clean if she doesn't want to, nevermind what I want or don't want.

It's nearly ten o'clock now and it's time for me to hit the hay. Tomorrow I'm leaving during my conference period to play for a funeral at church. It isn't a happy occasion, but I will confess that I'm glad to be available to do it. It just means that the more I get to do this sort of thing, the more a fixture we become in this community. I like Ballyhoo very much and I believe that it's the best place to raise the kids right now. Tiny communities tend to be rather close-knit and cliquish, but if you find a need that must be met and meet it, you're in the clique.

I got my official copy of my contract for next year. I'm thinking of framing it. Not really, of course... it probably sounds retarded to even say it. But it will mean that they are hiring me on for a third year. The third year is the charm for being less and less likely to be gotten rid of in a Texas school. After three years, they can't just automatically fire you for no reason. If you misbehave, they can obviously get rid of you immediately, but if they just dislike you or want to hire someone else, after you've been there for three years they have to have specific reasons for dismissing you.

I don't intend to misbehave, and I *do* intend to stick around. It isn't the best pay in the world, but it IS the best PLACE in the world to be for me right now.

Good night, y'all. Let's hope the fire ants don't carry us off during the night. They're getting pretty thick.

No comments: