Thursday, March 26, 2009

Beans, beans, wonderful fruit...


I love beans. Specifically, I love pinto beans that have been simmering in the crockpot all day with bits of pork fat. They smell maddeningly wonderful.

I love that pinto beans are cheap and nutritious, too.

Cheap is good. Nutritious is good.

Yes, they produce a few, er, after-effects. But I'll keep it real here and tell you that the results of having had a biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch are already fraught with unpleasant after-effects. I have become a gas-and-poop machine. So a few beans aren't going to make that much difference.

I realize this may be waaaay too much information for many of you, so if it is I suggest you skip the rest of the post. But traveling to other people's homes has become a delicate affair for me. I have to plan ahead and think of ways to find a bathroom with very good ventilation that is away from where everyone else is. So far it has been do-able. At the very worst I can actually get in the car and go find a public restroom somewhere nearby. I even carry air freshener with me.

My guts are very, very noisy and gurgly, too. But if gurgly, stinky guts are the only thing I have to contend with, I'd still have chosen this course. It's way more tolerable than yacking up everything I eat, and it's certainly nicer to be the petite size I have shrunk to since having the BPD/DS procedure. I'm guessing that some of the copious amounts of after-effects will begin to slow down when I'm no longer dropping a pound or two each week.

Even if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. For Christmas, Rick bought me a ventilation fan for the bathroom. He hasn't installed it yet, but it's on the to-do list. He's always been so romantic and thoughtful when it comes to gifts.

No comments: