Thursday, December 11, 2008

Peanut Butter Banana Bread


I took a recipe for banana bread and tweaked it a little with some peanut butter. It's pretty yummy, according to Isaac:

4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350. With a large fork, mix the butter into the mashed bananas. Use the same fork to mix in the peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in with the fork. Add the flour last, then mix with the fork. Pour the mixture into a buttered 4x8 loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour, then cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

We used creamy peanut butter because that's what we had, but I'm sure it would be yummy with the crunchy variety as well. I inadvertently forgot the sugar in this batch, so it's not quite as sweet as it probably should've been, but it's still quite tasty nonetheless and probably healthier without the extra sugar.

When I do it again, I'm going to put one more egg in it, to see if that helps it hold together just a tad bit better. And I may use brown sugar or honey instead of white sugar.

Definitely a keeper recipe. It's receiving rave reviews even as I'm typing this post.

Oh, and yes -- the appliance pictured above that I'm using to bake the peanut butter banana bread is a halogen free-standing oven. It's not big enough to bake a 13x9x2 pan of something, but it will do a 12x12 or smaller. The built-in oven here is unusable and not working. It's a double oven, but it's only about 24" wide -- which seems to be unheard-of these days. I don't know how or when or even IF we'll ever be able to replace it and have a REAL oven, but for now this little countertop one will have to do.

This is the first time I've tried doing honest-to-goodness baking in it and it worked beautifully. I wish it was big enough for an oblong cake pan but it's better than having no oven at all.

No comments: