Saturday, October 11, 2008

Homecoming Tradition!!

Ahh, the season of the Homecoming Mum has come and... just as quickly... gone again.

My students back in Des Moines could NOT believe that such a tradition existed, and to tell you the truth, I had kind-of assumed it had gone by the wayside in the intervening years.

Welp, it didn't. At least, not around these here parts.

Crazy, huh? But it's a humongous deal, for guys AND girls.

I feel a little bummed that I didn't get one for Martha and Isaac this week, but I was in charge of the ceremony and all my energies were focused on getting that done (as well as figuring out my costumes for each Spirit Day). Next year I'll do better. I might even try to make sure Alice has one for HER school, whichever one that's going to be. She goes to whichever school has the right special-ed teacher that she needs... this year, it's a small school seven miles away from Ballyhoo.

The ceremony went off without a hitch (PTL!) and our team won the game in the last thirty seconds. I chose not to go to the homecoming dance afterward; I was just too exhausted. All in all, though, it was a success and I feel pretty good about it.

No comments: