Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chicks Rule!

At least one of them does, anyway.

Goldikova wins Breeders Cup Mile
Filly Goldikova triumphed in the two million-dollar Breeders' Cup Mile on Saturday to give French trainer Freddie Head a unique Breeders' Cup double.

The sparkling bay filly burst through late on the inside to take the title from her male rivals.

...

"After a nice trip, just before the last corner, I was waiting for a chance," said Goldikova's rider Olivier Peslier. "When that hole opened, she jumped up and just kept going. She's very good."

...

Despite his disappointment, [the second-place horse's trainer Rick Dutrow] gave Goldikova her due.

"We tip our hat to the filly. She's a freak," he said.



It's a nice treat when a filly smokes the boys. I remember watching the Kentucky Derby in 1980 when filly Genuine Risk whipped the colts and won the coveted roses.

Wanna know something else? I didn't have to Google that... I really do remember it. I know, filly Winning Colors also won the Derby a few years later, but by then I was in college and not quite as horse-crazy as I had been as a starry-eyed seventh-grader.

No comments: