Friday, May 16, 2008

High school freshman girls are idiots

At least, it seems that the majority of this year's crop are.

Sexually-explicit notes being passed around... rumors and fights and threats... the hallway right outside my classroom door seems to be the main gathering place for this particular snitty crowd of girls displaying trailer-trash manners and the doofus boys who stand around watching it all go down.

This is BALLYHOO, for Pete's sake... the majority of the students here come from farming and ranching families who go to church on Sundays and Wednesdays... this new crowd has arrived to the dismay and bewilderment of us all. It's not that I don't know how to deal with kids behaving badly... it's just such a foreign thing here.

I took the group photograph of the FFA (Future Farmers of America) today for the yearbook. I'm pretty sure that about half the entire high school is in the FFA. This percentage is probably down quite a bit from past years. The yearbook photo is quite a wide-angle shot...

As for the yearbook, it's coming together well. [knock knock] My goal is to have it completely submitted as soon as graduation ceremonies are over; I don't want it hanging over my head if they schedule my surgery early in June. Technically it doesn't have to be all wrapped-up until mid-June, but I plan to get a jump on it. Maybe it'll mean that my books are done and back to me earlier than scheduled, but I won't be counting on it.

Putting the yearbook together has been an amazing, complicated, wonderful process. I have so many ideas for next year, I can't wait to get it started. I'm also excited to get my new yearbook staff put together and pointed in the right direction.

No comments: