Monday, January 21, 2008

Good news on the personal front

I've actually had three separate classroom observations by administrators this year -- more than any other year since I started teaching. Two of these were district observations done by the testing and compliance coordinator, who's a delightful lady with an immense job I wouldn't touch with double gloves. After both visits, she had nothing but wonderful things to say. She was very, very encouraging to me.

The other one is the Official State Thingy, with official forms in triplicate that must be signed. It's almost always done by the campus principal. I had this observation back in November, but haven't heard any feedback on it until today. I received an e-mail from my principal requesting I come to his office during my conference period to go over his observations and sign my forms.

Even though I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be an unpleasant visit, I can't help but feel trepidation and watery guts whenever I get called into The Office. For heaven's sake, this guy holds a great deal of power over me and my entire career at this point, and I absolutely must meet his approval. Having had some very nasty shocks at the hands of administrative-types, I can't let my guard down for a millisecond.

I'm grateful and thankful to God to be able to say that the principal's evaluation of me was bordering on stellar. One of the things he seemed to be most pleased about was that my classroom management skills were extremely good -- he noted that an environment such as an art room has the potential to be a rather chaotic scene, but that my room was never in such a state. A direct quote: "I am proud to have you on campus."

[beaming]

I've worked very hard this year so far. I still have much to accomplish. We're only halfway there.

No comments: