Thursday, December 20, 2007

A teeny-tiny rant

I'm spoiled, I know. I love my job, even with all its flaws. But what nincompoop put together our calendar? And has said nincompoop EVER been in a classroom with teenagers?

On the last day of school before a lengthy holiday, you dismiss school early. You just DO. It's not a matter of meeting state regulations, either, because if you keep everyone 'til one o'clock, you can count it as a full day.

Most schools even dismiss school altogether. But I'm not asking for that.

I can't imagine we'll even HAVE half our students tomorrow, particularly after lunch. Can someone please, then, explain to me WHY WE'RE EVEN THERE? Sheesh.

Alice's school, seven miles away, dismissed early on both Thursday AND Friday, which means she arrives on the short bus a little after 1PM. Which means she sits in my classroom and colors for three hours until I'm allowed to leave.

I know, I know. If I worked anywhere except a school, I'd have to be there eight to five, even on Christmas Eve, and on the day after Christmas I'd be back at work.

Fine. YOU come in and deal with your teenagers every day. C'mon, I dare you. Admit it -- you're thrilled that they GO AWAY every morning and you don't have to spend every waking moment with them. You get a reprieve from the drama and angst and (can I say this on a blog?) adolescent redolence.

Yeah, yeah. Your job is hard, and mine's not. Well, when you go spend scads of your (or your parents') money on an expensive degree and then take a job that pays so little that you still have to apply for public assistance to help you with your childrens' medical bills, you're gonna feel that a couple of days off at Christmas and a couple of months off in the summer are the LEAST they can do for you.

And still, I love my job. I love my students, I love my co-workers, and I love my school.

Even when they make me stay 'til four o'clock on the Friday before Christmas.

No comments: