Monday, August 27, 2007

Four more days until the weekend

The first day went as well as I could've expected, but I have to say that it is rather frustrating to have NO equipment or resources... not even an overhead projector or a screen. Not even a whiteboard. I do have a chalkboard, but it's very slick and doesn't take chalk well. I may bring our small whiteboard from home and just use it. I don't know if I have any other options right now.

The kids were very similar to the ones I had last year, but I expected that.

My feet have blisters from my "nice" shoes I wore today. Being stylish doesn't always mean being comfy (unless you want to drop $500 for a "good" pair of shoes, and what public school teacher has that kind of change lying around?). If anyone leaves a comment suggesting I buy SAS shoes, I will hunt you down. I do NOT wear old-lady shoes EVER. I'll be wheeling through the nursing home one day, sporting a pair of Vans on my bunioned feet.

My hair looked sort-of okay until we got to school this morning. After I walked the kids to their buildings, I was completely soaked with sweat. It's just too darn hot and humid. Anyway, my hair was gross the rest of the day.

They DID bring me a brand-new locking file cabinet today... yay! And I'm supposed to have a new rolling chair in the next couple of days because the one I have is broken.

Alice will start riding a bus to a nearby school district tomorrow morning. The small schools in this area cooperate together for SPED; one takes behavior classes, one takes life-skills, one takes self-contained, etc. I think it will work out well for her, though.

Isaac's teacher is a MAN this year! When he found out, he piped up, "Finally! One of my OWN KIND." Good grief. Anyway, his teacher seems like a good guy.

I saw Martha hanging out with several other girls at lunch, so I guess she's found a niche. She wants to go out for track, which should be interesting. Her principal told me she was extremely polite and well-mannered. [silent fist-pumping]

I'm tired and I need to put some salve on my feet. I apologize for being a one-note samba the past week or so; I'm hoping to have an original thought again soon, and when I do, I will be sure to post it. In the meantime, I beg your patience.

No comments: