Monday, March 26, 2007

It's flower time!

First up, we have Lupinus texensis, or the Texas Bluebonnet (the state flower of Texas). They are simply spectacular, particularly when they turn an entire hillside a brilliant royal blue. These are natives but were actually grown in my mom's flowerbeds, but the wild ones are just beginning to hit their full stride here in north Texas.



Often seen blooming in the same patches as bluebonnets are the Indian paintbrush, which I now know ISN'T the state flower of Oklahoma, but in my opinion they should be:



I'm ashamed to admit it, because I like to know things, but the next photo is a flower I've seen but never known. It looks for all the world to be some sort of species lantana (the flower, not the foliage), but I can't seem to find it in any of my sources.



These delightful little white flowers are, I believe, wild onions.



They're not wild at all, but the wisteria is in full bloom right now as well, and it's difficult to resist photographing the heavy grapelike clusters of gorgeous purple flowers.

No comments: