Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Okay, this is taking "Seeker-Friendly" just a tad too far...

Just saw this over at my blogmommy's place and thought that you might roll your eyes in much the same way I did (and apparently she did as well). I'm all for being relevant and speaking the language of the generation we're reaching with the Gospel, but for the love of Pete, is this accomplishing the task?

But who am I to say? The Bible itself says, "You shall know them by their fruit." If this church is making disciples and facilitating transformed lives, I suppose it's just as legitimate as Dog the Bounty Hunter and his checkered language and tactics. And Dog is one of my heroes.

I've always been a staunch supporter of "speaking the language of the people you're trying to share information with." Kids today -- even the normal, mainstream, preppy types -- use the word "pimp" as a verb to mean "dress up, trick out, radically improve."

I think that in the bigger picture, I wish the word "pimp" hadn't had something of a definition-transmutation. It certainly doesn't mean what it used to mean.

No comments: