Thursday, December 07, 2006

Humor in the classroom

I don't get into wearing "holiday sweaters" and other trailer-trash self-decoration for the holidays, but I do occasionally wear a little pin or something, just to be celebratory. My favorite one has always been a little tiny "nativity" pin, with the figures of Mary & Joseph and Baby Jesus, made of polymer clay:



Isn't it cute? It's only about an inch and a half wide, just for your information; it's very small and unobtrusive.

I wore it today on the lapel of my very smart black corduroy double-breasted jacket, and several students and teachers commented on how cute it was.

During my sixth period (freshmen), a boy on the front row looked at it curiously while I was perched on my stool at the front of the room, getting ready to impart some wisdom from the pages of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

"Miss, what is that?" he said, pointing to my pin.

"What does it look like, Nick?" I said.

He studied a little closer, then said, "Is it Baby Jesus?"

"Yes," I said. "With Mary and Joseph."

"I couldn't tell. I thought it might have been a pie," he said.

"A Jesus Pie!" laughed another student on another row.

It took a few minutes to regain control, since even I had to laugh at that one. It does kind-of look like a pie, especially from a distance, doesn't it?

No comments: