Monday, August 07, 2006

Welcome to the neighborhood

Yesterday during the power outage, I met one of my neighbors. She's a widow in her eighties and lives across the street -- Mrs. Laura. She was in her yard, gathering up the fallen branches from the storm. I asked her if her power was also out, and she said it was. We struck up a friendly conversation; she had lived here in North Ruralville since Time Immemorial and had been a farmer's wife. She said that before the horse industry took over the area, this all used to be peanut farming land.

This evening there was a knock on the front door. I opened it, and there was Mrs. Laura with a fresh-baked apple pie for us. "I just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood. Y'all seem like the friendly sort," she said.

I just thought that was absolutely awesome.

No comments: