Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm going to ruffle a couple of feathers by saying this...

I think pregnant high-school girls should be segregated into an alternate education program. They can't always follow dress code, as the article points out, but I think that a strict dress code in high school is a beneficial thing.

Actually, it's a toss-up for me. Either allow everything -- facial hair, grills, piercings and tattoos, low-cut clothing -- or allow none of it. I can work within either system, but the halfway stuff doesn't cut it with me. If I had my 'druthers, I'd rather be in the strict system. I think that a seriously strict policy brings with it a sense of obligation on the part of students and a compulsion to follow the rules.

Here in North Ruralville, I was stunned on the first day of school to discover the extent to which they regulate students' appearances. Boys' hair must be no lower than their ear-level, and no boy can have any piercing of any kind. Girls may only have pierced earlobes, nothing further. Clothing must fit properly (no sagging, no skin-tights) and if I (as a teacher) disapprove of something someone's wearing, I have the right to send them out.

It does seem to make a difference, though. I'm sure it's not the sole reason for the difference, but there is very little nonsense tolerated in this school. And even the most annoying criminal element tends to obey without too much backtalk. Quite refreshing, really.

No comments: