Saturday, June 10, 2006

Cough Headache

Did you know that having a severe headache that comes on every time you cough is actually uncommon and needs to get checked out? I didn't know that. WebMD says that an MRI or a CT scan is a definite must for cough headache sufferers.

I have been having cough headaches for several months now. I dread the feeling of a cough coming on, because I know how intense the pain is going to be as soon as I do it.

I do not have headaches when I sneeze, bend over, or exert in some other way. Only coughing. And it's a bad headache.

I had the big fasting bloodwork drawn yesterday (with the lovely bruise to go along with it -- it's a given anymore, it seems like), so in a week or two I'll know a little bit more. She ordered a full workup, checking all kinds of stuff. The cardiac stuff checked out, as did the renal stuff, so she's going down the other avenues to try to figure out what's going on.
I did mention to her in passing that I get a headache every time I cough, but I'll be sure to bring it up again at my next appointment in a week or two. I feel like a hypochondriac or something, but there are just enough odd health problems cropping up that I should probably address, so I will. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

No comments: