Friday, January 13, 2006

Highlights!

Martha decided she wanted her hair highlighted, so we spent a couple of hours tonight doing the foil thing in the kitchen. I'm not the greatest foiler, mainly because I don't do it very often, but I do know how it's done. Here are the results:





There were a couple of blotches down in amongst some of the strands, but all in all, it didn't turn out too hideously. I think she likes it. Of course, you can plainly see the results of her trichotillomania here, since she obviously has no eyebrows or eyelashes. I'm just thankful she doesn't pull the hair on her head. There really isn't much a parent can do to combat trich, because anything we would do would just aggravate her stress response and anxiety, driving her to do it even more. She's done it for two years, so I guess I'm just used to it now -- although my heart still wishes she could stop, because she's really a beautiful girl and I hate that she's altering her appearance in this way. But it's the way it is, and I love her regardless.

Today I met with the SPED people at her middle school. It was a staffing meeting, meaning we're officially writing her IEP (Individual Education Plan) and she will officially be classified as SPED -- with all the accommodations and services available to SPED individuals. This is a very, very good thing, in my estimation. For a long time I didn't want her to be labeled as such, but now I can see that it's really the best course to take. She needs to succeed, and she needs to be instructed in a way that will best educate her. The system isn't perfect, but it's better for her nonetheless. I really like the people who are working with her over at the middle school, and they seem to like me as well, so I think that between all of us we'll be able to steer her in a better direction.

No comments: