Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My new favorite TV show

I know you're going to think I'm nuts, and you'd be right, but this is my new favorite television show.

Rick stumbled onto it a while ago and got me to watch it. It's fascinating, truly. Not for everyone, though -- if you're easily offended by people with tattoos and strong language, look elsewhere. These people are working with a segment of the population that most of us never touch, and I think they're doing it well.

From DOG's web site, a snip from his bio:
"Six men can carry you or 12 men can judge you. You decide!" -- a Dogism

If you're on the run, Dog is gonna get you.

Dog is Duane Lee Chapman, owner of Da Kine Bail Bonds in Honolulu and self-proclaimed "Greatest Bounty Hunter in the World." Six thousand-plus captures over the past two decades have earned this highly intense, charismatic ex-con and born-again Christian such a distinction.

He is the modern-day Billy the Kid -- minus all the weaponry. "Regulators," he'll often bellow to his supporting cast of bounty hunters, which often includes family members and friends, "mount up!"

He's also the king of comebacks -- a modern-day hero who was once a zero after serving time in a Texas prison for first-degree murder. It's a conviction he claims was unfounded and later candidly discusses, for the first time ever, with MidWeek.
"I am what rehabilitation stands for," claims the man who's been profiled on such TV shows as The Learning Channel's Secret World of Bounty Hunters and Court TV's Anatomy of a Crime, and whose Predator's Predator column at www.crime.com receives a bevy of hits on a daily basis. "I did time in prison, and that made my mother and father -- not to mention the public -- very ashamed of me."

And so as part of his penance, he vowed to help make America a safer place for all.
I love this guy. I hope I get to meet him someday this side of heaven and thank him.

No comments: