Thursday, June 09, 2005

No Vindaloo for you!

On my way out of school at lunchtime I put a call in to the India Star cafe. "I'd like to order takeout," I said, drooling a little with anticipation.

"I'm sorry, we cannot do takeout today."

?!?

"Umm, okay, thanks."

If you think back to about 12:30 Central Daylight Time today, you'll probably remember hearing this faint, prolonged shrieking sound and not knowing where it came from. Now you know.

---------------------

Martha graduated from elementary school today. On Sunday morning she leaves for youth camp with the church.

When do my senior citizen discounts kick in?

---------------------

Tonight was band practice again... this time it was for Romans Road, which is the name for the Sunday morning crew led by Jeff. We've been asked to do a gig on June 25th at an outdoor event for a church on the south side of Des Moines. I really enjoyed tonight's practice; we're doing several of Jeff's originals, which I loooooove. And the vocals are just Jeff and me, which is kind-of cool too. It's less complicated than trying to blend a bunch of different vocalists. Also, we played around with the arrangements of some of the songs, just to vary things a little. On one of them, I was just dittying with the chords before we started playing it, and they all said we should actually start the song that way. So I played something again (of course it's never the exact same thing; I can't seem to do that) and Stratman said, "Wow, that sounded just like Jim Brickman." [happy place! happy place!] I only wish! But it was really nice of him to say that.

Neal was on drums, cracking jokes and being his phenomenal self, and Frank was on bass (doing his usual bouncing around and being his awesome self as well). We had a lot of laughs, which was nice because normally practice for Sunday mornings aren't quite that relaxed and funny. We were able to kick back and enjoy ourselves without any pressure. Those guys are all so doggone talented, it's the coolest thing to be able to play along with them. What a privilege. It's actually inspiring; I think since I'm such a "chameleon," I actually feed off the talent that's around me and it makes me better. Sometimes I'll play something and just think, whoa, where did that come from, 'cuz that was cool! I'm doing things on the piano that I know I couldn't do a year ago.

---------------------

The kids are worn out. Because of last night's Big Meeting at the church, they spent the night with some friends and they didn't get to bed quite as early as I would've liked because one of their kids fell off the swing and they all had to load up and head for the emergency room for x-rays and a splint. Life is never dull around here. Thank goodness tomorrow's the last day of school for them -- they need it to be!

---------------------

I have two overdue papers, a Powerpoint presentation, and an observation reflection to write. Why, then, am I blogging?

Because I am addicted to it. I blog, therefore I am. I just bought a t-shirt that reads, "I'm blogging this." Because I am, and everyone around should be forewarned.

No comments: