Friday, June 17, 2005

I like the way this town thinks...

Marshalltown Offers Free Wi-Fi
The coolest quote in the article?
The city's goal is to provide free high-speed Internet service to everyone in Marshalltown by the end of next year.


The Economic Development Committee is making a concerted effort to promote growth and jobs in their city. Wi-fi is an idea whose time has come, in my opinion... forget all these land-line connections. One thing about the article I didn't find clear -- it says that residents can log in to one of 10 laptops. Does that mean they're putting laptops out for anyone to stop in and use them? And what if I wanted to bring my own; would I be able to jump onto their wi-fi signal using my own equipment? And does their wi-fi service leave a bunch of crud on my own personal computer?

Interesting, nonetheless.

No comments: