Monday, May 02, 2005

Thoughts on the runaway bride

Okay, like you wanted to read one more stupid thing about Jennifer Wilbanks, the runaway bride. But here's what I think.

I actually feel for her. I know a lot of people are having a lot of jokes at her expense, and yes, she brought them all on herself by choosing a rather cowardly way out of her situation. But cold feet isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, a second guess or a look back can save you from a lifetime of wishing you hadn't done it, especially if you're of the divorce-is-a-mortal-sin persuasion. Marriage is not a decision that should be taken lightly or flippantly. When in doubt, don't. Delaying it hurts much less than regretting it.

However, Jen's method of delaying her nuptials leaves much to be desired. It smacks of a pathological need for attention. If I were her fiancee, I would seriously consider whether this person was mentally stable enough to be in a healthy marriage relationship. Not only did she get cold feet about her wedding, she got cold feet about her disappearance. This girl has major problems.

My advice to any girl who's doubting her decision? Face it, postpone it, call it off, whatever you have to do. Just don't make up a stupid lie and get your blanket-covered head plastered all over every television screen in the nation. Or better yet, if you really do need to get out in the middle of the night, go and don't look back.

==========================
No need to take this post as a veiled hint that I'm not happy in my own marriage. Anyone who knows me ought to know that I, unlike Jennifer Wilbanks, ain't afraid to come right out and say whatever's on my mind -- no veiled hints or blanketed heads here.

Rick and I are just fine, thank you! We're definitely very different people, but it works well together because neither of us is terribly co-dependent or high-maintenance. He has things that he enjoys, I have things that I enjoy, and there are things we enjoy together. We cooperate with the child-rearing and we understand one another... he's logical and practical, I'm artistic and chaotic... he's conventional and optimistic, I'm offbeat and I'm suspicious of everyone and everything. He was born a mature, responsible adult... and in some ways I will probably never grow up. We're both totally and completely committed to the cause of Christ, however -- and from what I can tell, that's the main ingredient in the glue that keeps this together. That, and a healthy dose of live-and-let-live.

No comments: