Wednesday, March 02, 2005

No Girl Scouts for this family, thank you

Martha brought home some information about Girl Scouts today, and I just explained that we weren't going to be doing anything with that organization.

"Is it inappropriate?" she wanted to know.

"It's just not what our family will be participating in," I said.

No, Martha, we won't be supporting an organization with this kind of agenda that it doesn't care to denounce. No, instead, we have joined our church's AWANA Club because it fulfills many of the same "fun" things that Scouting organizations embrace, without all the other underlying junk. Tonight Isaac finally memorized the AWANA pledge, which was the last thing he had left to do in his beginner packet before receiving his RED VEST with the SPARKS patch on the chest. He's extremely proud of himself now, wearing his red vest... I told him I was so very proud of him, and he just waved his hand and said, "Oh, Mom, it's just my job." I guess he thinks it's a little like the vests that the Wal-Mart associates wear. heh

No comments: