Friday, March 04, 2005

Growling, muttering, gnashing of teeth

The principal has just sent out an e-mail calling an ad hoc STAFF MEETING immediately after school today.

Does he realize it's FRIDAY? AFTERNOON? And the weather outside is GORGEOUS? And I have a CONCERT to go to tonight? (Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns & Stephen Curtis Chapman are in Ames at Iowa State University at the Hilton Coliseum tonight)

And we all know how much I love MEETINGS. Particularly when they're about the budget, which is what he says it's about. Apparently they've had some kind of decision from on high. Do I care?

I could not possible care any less than I care right now, hence my "care" level is ZERO. Let them cut my job. I can get a job somewhere else. But the position I'm in, it's highly unlikely they're cutting ME. They're already desperate for more special ed teachers.

I'm already irritable today because our refrigerator's icemaker has been broken for two days. I'm a compulsive, habitual ice-cruncher and I haven't had any of my OWN ice to crunch in that time. I've stopped at the QuikTrip several times for crushed ice, which is a passable substitute and certainly a better option than the nasty sharp-edged cubes you get at places like McD's. But I'm particularly fond of my own icemaker and my own ice, and I get cranky if I don't get it. It's pretty much the only modern convenience I really miss when I'm in Haiti. Whenever I get back on the plane in Port-au-Prince, I request just a cup full of ice.

Anyway, the bell just rang, so it's off to the meeting. Growl, grumble.

UPDATE: The meeting was just to tell us that there would NOT be any staff cuts. Like they couldn't have e-mailed that to us? Pulleeeze. As for my own job, that's still a who-knows? kind of thing because I haven't signed any sort of contract. I kind-of doubt they want to get rid of me because it's hard to find enough special ed teachers. I'm sure that if they don't need me back next year, I can find a position somewhere else...

No comments: