Friday, January 07, 2005

More adventures

Alice had an MRI scheduled for 6:30 this morning. We dutifully arrived, checked in, all the usual stuff. Then they started to take her back, and I asked, "Aren't you going to sedate her?"

"Uh, no, we conferenced with the doctor when it was scheduled, and it was decided she wouldn't need it."

Now, WHO in their right mind thinks that even a NORMAL nine-year-old is going to lie still while they slide her into a tube and make her lie absolutely still while the thing clacks and whacks and makes all sorts of godawful noise? They obviously didn't ask ME. "She's going to have to be sedated. She won't be able to do it."

"Well, a sedation appointment isn't available until the 31st."

"That's three weeks away," I noted, thinking of my little girl who's having CONTINUAL SEIZURES... umm, yeah. We can wait three weeks. Right. "Well, okay. We can give it a try."

I talked to Alice and tried to explain to her what would happen, and she seemed agreeable. So they took her back. In about twenty minutes she returned. The tech said, apologetically, "It didn't work. We got only one series of pictures before she started crying and tried to climb out of the machine." No way, man. Really?

If someone would've just warned me, I'd've slipped her some kind of Mickey before we left for the hospital, and saved all this mess. They scheduled her for the 31st, but as soon as it was daylight, I began hounding the doctors' offices to get that MRI appointment expedited. As I expected, they were able to get her in on Monday, although it's at a different facility. Whatever, people. Just figure out what the heck's wrong with my kid.

On a happier note, it's FRIDAY! And it's only the second day this week that we've had to go to school. The weather has been horrid here in Des Moines this week. I'm not too thrilled about having to make the days up, however. I'd rather be cooped up at school on nasty, snowy days when I wouldn't want to be outdoors anyway. Once spring arrives, watch out.

No comments: