Friday, December 10, 2004

Yummmmm...

I just brought home some takeout from the India Star cafe. Super-spicy vindaloo, sag paneer, and nan bread... now I think I'm just about as happy as I could be. : )

My first foray into Indian food came as a result of watching Red Dwarf re-runs on the Dallas PBS station late at night. I've always loved the Britcoms, and I've also been a sci-fi fan for as long as I can remember. So Red Dwarf was the perfect combination of both. One of the main characters, Dave Lister, is a loveable slob who fantasizes about curry dishes. He once laments that he'd never had a prawn vindaloo... well, when I heard that, my interest was piqued. I had no idea what that was, but I took a chance and guessed that it was Indian. I hunted around (pre-internet) and found a recipe for the vindaloo paste, but it was a little too labor-intensive. Then once I went into an Indian grocery store in north Dallas and -- lo and behold -- a jar of Vindaloo Paste sat on the shelf. I was ecstatic and bought it immediately. We tried it with chicken and thought it was divine, and we've been hooked ever since.

And, of course, we own Red Dwarf episodes on DVD now, so we can enjoy them whenever we like. If you ever need some seriously lowbrow sci-fi comedy, check it out.

2 comments:

maggie katzen said...

Hollister - And do you know what happens when a dinosaur eats cow vindaloo, and then eats two and a half tons of mint-choc ice cream, followed by four hundred crates of orange ice-pops, and swills the whole thing down with two thousand gallons of a popular fizzy drink? Do you know what happens?

Anonymous said...

ROFLMHO!! Yes, I have witnessed the aftermath of said chain of events... it is not pretty, let me tell you.

hee hee I'm glad I'm not the only geeky person in the world. I think I got my first dose of RD nearly fifteen years ago. Never been the same since. "Everybody's dead, Dave," has become part of my lexicon. I've instructed my husband that, upon my death, I'm to be cremated and used as something to "grit the path" when it's icy out.

Just kidding.