Thursday, December 30, 2004

Narnia movie to come out next December!!

I have loved C.S. Lewis' series The Chronicles of Narnia ever since I was a kid -- my Aunt Donna gave me the series when I was ten, I believe, and I absorbed them again and again and again. I was glad but unimpressed with the BBC's effort to bring it to the small screen a few years back... I was stunned and absolutely LOVED the Radio Theater production of it (done by Focus on the Family), but that's only audio. I'm telling you, though, it's more than just audio books. It's audio dramatization, and it's top-notch. It's great for long car trips. Actually, all of FOTF's Radio Theater productions have been very high-quality.

Anyway, I am pleased to see that they're coming out with a big-screen version of Narnia next year!

However, I do have very high expectations of this... expectations on the same level as those I had of the Lord of the Rings trilogy movies (which did NOT disappoint) and the Anne of Green Gables movies (which were suitably decent but not overwhelmingly so). This had better be good, because the Narnia books deserve only the very best of movies. My childhood favorites -- brought to life on the big screen -- are always in danger of not matching my imagination. I thought that the Black Stallion movie back in the 1979 was totally TOTALLY stinko, and Walter Farley's Black Stallion series of books were some of my most treasured possessions. The movie was interesting and very beautiful, but it bore little to no resemblance to Farley's story. In my opinion, if you're going to base a movie on a book, get as close as you can. If you're making up a story, don't pass it off as a movie based on a book.

Just my two cents on the subject.

No comments: