Thursday, December 30, 2004

Mezanmi!

I'm thinking about my Haitian friends this morning and about the music project I've been involved with down there. If you're interested, here's a link describing the project:

Music Missions in Haiti

There's even a picture of me on that page.

I wish I could be there with them more often than I already am... although with the political unrest there, things haven't been able to progress as well as one would like. Getting from one place to another is a dicey affair these days. Even with that, though, I just ache to be with them sometimes. Haiti isn't a Club-Med spot in the Caribbean, but I love the country and its people very much. I can close my eyes and imagine myself walking across the tarmac at the airport in Port-au-Prince... the intense humidity assaults my senses and the faint odor of burning garbage wafts lazily in the heavy air. The joy of being reunited with my dear, dear friends... "Kouman ou ye, zanmi! M'kontan we ou!"... the taste of papitat (plantain chips), diri e soz pwa (rice with bean sauce), and my favorite -- ji sitwon (fresh limeade).

Can't wait to get back!!

No comments: