Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Mewzik

Well, the evening won't be a total loss. After the meeting, I'm going to go to the new church and practice with the band again. This time, they want me to play for Sunday night, since they already have someone playing for the morning services.

Music is tightly interwoven into my DNA, I think. There is music playing in my head all the time... sometimes something familiar, other times just random music. Certain tones or musical pitches actually have a sensation, a smell, and a color that go along with them -- I know that sounds really wack, but I read somewhere recently that it's a real phenomenon called "synesthesia". I can't put words to any of it, really... if you asked me what the scent of an "F" is, I couldn't describe it to you. But I know how it feels. That's why I have perfect pitch. The only use I've found for perfect pitch is during accompaniment when the singer switches keys on me -- and I can hear what they're doing and change along with them. That has only happened a few times to me.

At any rate, today I've had some really nice, unidentifiable piano riffs running through my head, so I'm hoping that tonight at church I'll have the chance to put them in somewhere.

1 comment:

maggie katzen said...

hmmmm, I've read a bit about synesthesia, but that's an interesting thought on pitch. maybe someone should ask people with perfect pitch how they perceive them. usually people are trained to identify pitches by listening for "beats" I haven't figured it out yet.