Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Gripe, to no-one in particular

Why is it that I find out about mandatory meetings AFTER THE FACT? I arrive at school this morning and one of the teachers asked why I wasn't at the meeting last night. Meeting? I got NO NOTICE of a meeting. Believe me, I keep track of these things, because I'm a first-year teacher in this district and I'm trying to make sure I look good to the higher-ups.

The one complaint I have about working in this district is the predominance of the unannounced meeting. Usually I find out about it THAT DAY, precipitating a desperate flurry of phone calls to arrange for some kind of child care. Yesterday, apparently I didn't even hear about it at all, because I obviously didn't show up. But it seems to be a distinct pattern here. A pattern that I'm tired of and which does not make me a happy employee.

Okay, while I'm griping -- because griping isn't a habit I'm in -- the rise of hip hop and rap have caused this uncontrollable urge in teenage boys to beat rhythms on the tables and desks in every classroom. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of that genre, but I could really live without the requisite desk pounding.

No comments: