Monday, March 22, 2010

A little Hee-Haw for your Monday evening



I've been fighting a bout with depression the past few days, probably exacerbated by the sinus infection and the health-care debate, but due mainly to what seems like a complete inability to overcome our financial troubles. Our struggles are a direct result of huge medical bills. And no, ObamaCare isn't going to make this better or easier on us because the other main reason we are struggling financially is a crushing tax load. So don't try to tell me all my problems are solved in this area -- I swear, if the government would leave us the h#ll alone and let us keep our money, we'd be paying our own way and not bothering anyone and not stressing out.

The Old Testament reading from last Sunday was something I needed to hear:

Thus says the LORD, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters, who brings out chariot and horse, army and warrior; they lie down, they cannot rise, they are extinguished, quenched like a wick: Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. The wild animals will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches; for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people, the people whom I formed for myself so that they might declare my praise.
--Isaiah 43:16-21

And then there was the reading from the Psalms:

When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for us, and we rejoiced. Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like the watercourses in the Negev. May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy. Those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, carrying their sheaves.
--Psalm 126

Next Sunday is Palm Sunday... a celebration... and yet foreshadowing a dark day of sadness... but joy will return, in even greater measure, on Easter Sunday, as we celebrate the pivotal Event of all history.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: