Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pencil sketch

I haven't done any simple pencil sketching in a long time, having been enamored of watercolors for so long now, but I was inspired to pick up the pencils again thanks to the local art show. There are four divisions -- pencil/pastel, painting, photography, and sculpture/jewelry. I don't really have any way to enter the fourth division, but I thought it would be fun to try to put an entry in each of the other three divisions. Not that I think I will win any of them; it just does me a world of good to make myself put out the extra effort.

The photograph I'm entering is the one entitled "Jubilation" that you can see if you scroll down a few posts. You already saw the watercolor painting I did. Now here's the pencil sketch:



I am also NOT a portrait artist, but I felt compelled to challenge myself to try anyway. It won't win, but it was fun to work on and I'd like to keep doing more like it to try to improve my techniques and sharpen my results.

No comments: