Sunday, December 07, 2008

Stopped clocks


What's that they say about a stopped clock?

Haitian Voodoo Protest Denounces Foreign Aid, UN Peacekeepers

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Voodoo priests say foreign aid and the presence of 9,000 U.N. peacekeepers in Haiti are holding back the chronically impoverished country.

Voodoo supreme chief Max Beauvoir says Haitians cannot live comfortably among heavily armed U.N. troops and that aid groups accomplish little while preventing locals from helping themselves.


Hell recognizes truth occasionally, too, I suppose. What they won't mention is that it's voodoo that cursed Haiti from its inception and precipitated the conditions that brought the do-gooders and the UN peacekeepers in the first place.

When I saw that photo up there, I could immediately smell the burning garbage odor that permeates the city of Port-au-Prince. That smell is what hits you square in the face when you get off the plane.

Even so, I will always always always love that country and its beautiful people. And I would go back tomorrow if I could.

No comments: