Thursday, December 18, 2008

She's dead, Jim













Majel Barrett Roddenberry dies

Nurse Chapel in the Star Trek: Original Series, Lwaxana Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Majel Barrett Roddenberry was an incredibly memorable character on her husband's show. I was grieved today to hear of her passing.

I actually MET her once, back in 1992... yes, I actually went to a Trek Convention once. That was in my Pre-Parenthood years, of course, although if another big Trek convention were to be held nearby, I'd probably still go. At any rate, she and Marina Sirtis (who portrayed her daughter Deanna Troi on ST:TNG) were there signing autographs. They were both lovely and gracious ladies with just as much elegance in person as on the show.

I still love Star Trek in all its iterations. Perhaps it's because I was born in 1966, the year that it first emerged onto the scene, and perhaps because I grew up watching the re-runs with my dad.

Rest in peace, Majel. Make it so.

No comments: