Thursday, October 30, 2008

I heart Fauvism

I think that Fauvism might be my very favorite art history movement. I love Abstract Expressionism, of course. But my heart belongs to Henri Matisse, Andre Derain and Raoul Dufy and their wildly colorful, brazen paintings. I have known for some time that I am deeply affected by pure, brilliant color. Even when painting something from a photograph, I tend to heighten the color saturation level of the resulting work as an unconscious act.


Charing Cross Bridge, London, 1906
Andre Derain

Take a look at this nifty cityscape... even an obviously industrial London scene can be beautiful in and of itself. Our surroundings, regardless of drear, have color. You can find it in a color photograph by upping the saturation and contrast levels to their furthest limit. Derain could see it and bring it to life.



Hommage a Debussy, 1952
Raoul Dufy


Can anyone see any similarities between Dufy's style and the 1960s DePatie-Freleng cartoon art? Maybe that's why I love Dufy's work so much... the style pervaded my formative years of television viewing.




La le├žon de musique, 1917
Henri Matisse

See how pure the color is! Matisse was the master of color. His vision inspires me every time I look at his work.

Any-hoo, I just thought I'd share some Fauvism with you today. Enjoy!

No comments: