Thursday, September 25, 2008

Okay, let's give this another try

I'm going to resume drinking the Nectar brand protein powder shakes I bought. I have probably waited a couple of weeks longer than I should've, but I've just been so distracted with other things that I forgot. Rick has been gently and not-so-gently chiding me about the low protein intake problem, and he is right -- while I am consuming enough protein for a normal person, I am not absorbing all of that protein, and I will pay for this sooner or later. Probably sooner if I'm not more careful.

One thing that happened to me about four months after my first bariatric procedure was that I lost about a third of the hair on my head. At the time they said it was due to protein, but since then I'm not entirely sure it's just that. I think it may also have had something to do with the anesthesia. I found that after other surgical procedures I had oddball symptoms that cropped up about three or four months post-op, too.

But I still need to pack in the protein. If my body doesn't get enough protein on a regular basis, it will eventually steal it from my muscles.

I began drinking the tastier Nectar brand of protein right after my surgery and found them to be relatively palatable and not at all disagreeable. The problem came later in the form of tremendous gassiness. Since then I've found that it seems like lots of food causes this gassiness, so I might as well put up with the protein shakes' effects too. Originally I blended some canned peaches in with the peach-flavored shake powder, so this time around I'm leaving out the peaches. I did, however, add in a cup of peach yogurt. This may cause the same problem. I dunno. But at least the shake tastes okay.

On an unrelated health note, I took my evening dose of Aleve at about 7:30PM in hopes of perhaps staving off the headache that always seems to show up at about 8:30PM.

It didn't work. The headache is back again, and in precisely the same place.

I do NOT want to go to the doctor, but I don't see that I have much choice now. Dangit.

The Vicodin tablet did not relieve my headache last night either, but I felt better anyway. Heh. I'm not going to waste one tonight, though. There's obviously something else going on that isn't affected by painkillers. I may try a decongestant tonight to see if maybe it's a sinus problem.

No comments: