Friday, July 11, 2008

Cool ice cream project

A dear friend e-mailed me a few hours ago with this fun recipe, so I thought I'd give it a try... and it worked spectacularly!

Ice Cream In a Bag
1. Put 3 Tbsp sugar, 1 cup half and half, and 1/2 tsp vanilla in a quart-size heavy zip-top plastic bag and seal.

2. Place that bag in a gallon-size heavy zip-top bag. Layer ice and rock salt in the gallon bag and seal.

3. Toss the bag back and forth for about 10 minutes and you've got ice cream.

It TOTALLY worked!!!

Here's the evidence:


I tossed the milk/sugar/vanilla mixture into a sandwich bag, sealed it up tight, and dumped it into a big freezer bag full of ice cubes and Kosher salt (I didn't have rock salt, so I figured I'd try Kosher salt instead). I shook it, wallered it around, etc. for about ten minutes, opened it up, and found this:

And I swear to you, it was creamier and tastier than anything I could buy at the grocery store. Holy cow that was awesome!! We will definitely be doing it again.

Martha gives two thumbs up, as does Rick. Alice is not a big sweets fan, and Isaac didn't want to try it because he has a terrible earache tonight and isn't in the mood to swallow anything.

Easy and fun!!!

No comments: