Monday, June 23, 2008

From the Wall Street Journal's online site


How to prepare the perfect pot of green tea






I have read that the ideal water temperature for brewing green tea is around 150 degrees. I'm not yet able to determine that without a thermometer, but when I'm dealing with super-good tea leaves, that's exactly what I do. I heat the water and use a meat thermometer to determine the precise moment when to put the leaves in. Then I let them steep for four to five minutes, but no more than that or you get a slight bitterness.

As far as brands of commercial tea, I have found that the Rishi products have been satisfactory. Republic of Tea is *okay* but it isn't my favorite. I don't even bother drinking the stuff in bags anymore, because it just doesn't hold a candle to the exquisite flavor and aroma of the Real Thing.

No comments: